The Science of Monk Fruit
Monk fruit has been in use since antiquity as both a sweetener and a powerful healing agent. It is only since the advent of modern science that we now understand just how potent monk fruit really is.
Sustained Weight Loss and a Healthier Liver
Reducing your calories by eating less sugar and more of our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener will definitely reduce your weight.
However, it gets better!
Studies show that adding monk fruit to your diet can also help treat non alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) (1). Non alcoholic fatty liver disease is very common and causes serious metabolic diseases.
Health has never tasted sweeter!
Lowers Blood Sugar Levels
Monk fruit is a potent blood sugar reducer. Replacing your sugar intake with our USDA certified monk fruit sweetener means you're not spiking your blood sugar levels.
Monk fruit will also work to reduce your blood sugar from other sources!
For example, if you've eaten a pastry you've made with our monk fruit sweetener the starches in that pastry will still be converted to sugar and raise your blood sugar level.
However, monk fruit contains phytochemicals that are able to directly regulate your bodies energy balance! (2)(3). These phytochemicals activate AMPK that in turn inhibits the gluconeogenesis pathway and reduces your blood sugar level.
Consistently high blood sugar causes consistently high insulin. Chronically high insulin is implicated in everything from coronary artery disease to cancer.
High cholesterol is rampant and statins are a multi-billion dollar industry. However, statins can have intolerable side effects for many people.
Imagine if you could lower your cholesterol by consuming our deliciously sweet monk fruit sweeter. It turns out that studies show that it's possible! (3)
It appears that monk fruit is able to reduce both total cholesterol and triglyceride levels in diabetics. This is especially good news as a higher triglyceride to HDL ratio is strongly associated with all cause mortality and coronary artery disease.
Free radicals can wreak havoc in your body. Premature aging, wrinkles and sagging skin can all be caused by free radicals.
Studies have shown that monk fruit is able to significantly reduce lipid peroxidation (4). The amount of lipid peroxidation is an excellent metric for the damage caused by free radicals in the body.
Our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener might even help you look younger! That's pretty sweet!
Chronic inflammation promotes disease and weight gain. Inflammation is also linked to depression, anxiety and even brain fog. Reducing your inflammatory levels can improve for your health.
Monk fruit has been shown to slow the release of inflammatory mediators in your body such as prostaglandins, IL-6 and NO (5).
It seems that enjoying the sweet deliciousness of our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener might just make you healthier and happier!
A Healthy Mouth
Your mother always told you that sugar was bad for your teeth. However it turns out that the delicious sweetness of our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener will actually help stop cavities from forming! (9)
Monk fruit will inhibit the growth of Streptococcus mutans, Porphyromonas gingivalis and Candida albicans. This trio of bad guys are responsible for tooth decay, gingivitis and bad breath.
Our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener can help give you whiter teeth, pinker gums and better breath.
It might also mean you'll get kissed more!
Jump Higher, Run Faster
Who wouldn't want to enjoy a sweet treat made with our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener and suddenly find themselves capable of feats of strength and endurance?
Monk fruit has been shown to increase physical endurance by reducing lactic acid build up and regulating muscle and liver glycogen (10). It seems that monk fruit can allow you to perform at a higher level for a longer period of time.
Perhaps we'll see you at the next Olympics?
We all know someone allergic to everything from pollen to cats. What if our delicious USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener could help control those allergies?
Monk fruit can calm an allergic reaction by inhibiting the histamine release from mast cells (11). Reducing this histamine release can calm those running noses and watery eyes.
It seems our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener can bring sweet relief!
Cancer can snatch our loved ones from us without mercy. Every year over 1.7 million new cases of cancer are diagnosed and over 600,000 people die. (8)
Every tool in our arsenal to fight cancer should be used.
Studies show that monk fruit is a potent cancer fighter (6)(7). Monk fruit phytochemicals have been shown to block mechanisms that tumour cells use to proliferate. Once the proliferation is blocked tumour cells start to spontaneously die.
At the Grinning Monk we love the taste of our USDA certified organic monk fruit sweetener and use it on (and in!) everything we can.
It's satisfying to know that this sweet indulgence also comes with significant health benefits. Our only wish is that pizza had these same benefits!
- Zhang X, Song Y, Ding Y et all. Effects of Mogrosides on High-Fat-Diet-Induced Obesity and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Mice. Molecules. 23(8), 1894 (2018)
- O'Neill HM. AMPK and exercise: glucose uptake and insulin sensitivity. Diabetes Metab. 37(1), 1–21 (2013)
- Qi XY, Chen WJ, Zhang LQ, Xie BJ.Mogrosides extract from Siraitia grosvenori scavenges free radicals in vitro and lowers oxidative stress, serum glucose, and lipid levels in alloxan-induced diabetic mice.Nutr. Res. 28(4), 278–284 (2008)
- Chen WJ, Wang J, Qi XY, Xie BJ. The antioxidant activities of natural sweeteners, mogrosides, from fruits of Siraitia grosvenorii. Int. J. Food Sci. Nutr. 58(7), 548–556 (2007) Evidence for mogrosides’ activities in antioxidant.
- Di R, Huang MT, Ho CT. Anti-inflammatory activities of mogrosides from momordica grosvenori in murine macrophages and a murine ear edema model. J. Agr. Food Chem. 59(13), 7474–7481 (2011)
- Liu C, Zeng Y, Dai LH et al. Mogrol represents a novel leukemia therapeutic, via ERK and STAT3 inhibition.Am. J. Cancer Res. 5(4), 1308–1318 (2015)
- Liu C, Dai L, Liu Y et all. Antiproliferative Activity of Triterpene Glycoside Nutrient from Monk Fruit in Colorectal Cancer and Throat Cancer. Nutrients. 8(6), 360 (2016)
- Zheng Y, Liu Z, Ebersole J et all. A new antibacterial compound from Luo Han Kuo fruit extract (Siraitia grosvenori). J Asian Nat Prod Res. Aug, 11(8):761-5 (2009)
- Da-Duo L, Xue-Wu J, Rong-Wei Lib. Effects of Siraitia grosvenorii Fruits Extracts on Physical Fatigue in Mice. Iran J Pharm Res. Winter, 12(1): 115–121. (2013)
- Hossen M, Shinmei Y, Jiang S et all. Effect of Lo Han Kuo (Siraitia grosvenori Swingle) on nasal rubbing and scratching behavior in ICR mice. Biol Pharm Bull. Feb, 28(2):238-41 (2005)